Sunday, October 30, 2011

9 Days Wonder; Or 2 Days for Me

I just got back from a 2 day walk through the Cotswolds. You may not believe this, but I actually walked 33 miles! Wow!

Three of my new friends at the Shakespeare Institute have decided to walk for the Ketterer’s Men Trust. Over 9 days they will be walking the 146 mile path Shakespeare took from the Birthplace in Stratford-upon-Avon to the Globe in London. All this in honor of their late friend Liz Ketterer. You can find out more about the charity and sponsor the walk here: http://pledgie.com/campaigns/16139

For my part, I knew that 146 miles might be a tad far for a amature walker like myself - not the mention the dent it would create in my wallet after eight nights at B&Bs. However, I did want to participate, not only to show my support, but also for the challenge. Thus, on Friday morning I set off from the Birthplace to Shipston-on-Stour.

The walking trail started off well. Although it quickly turned rough as we made our way through ploughed fields. What was meant to be a 17 mile walk turned into 18, with a slight mishap. I saw many a sheep, cow, horse and even several alpaca!

The next day was 14 miles to Chipping Norton. I day I wish to forget, as it was mostly uphill. We even had to stop for some emergency foot surgery for our friend Gareth - who had developed 3 blisters on the bottom of his feet which needed to be let out. About mile 10 I started to slow down. I now have an incredible pain in my hip, but I have made it safely to the hotel. I wish I could continue with the group, but I think it is time to pack up my walking shoes for a bit.







No comments:

Post a Comment